Hey mom!
This week has been great! Transfers went well and the past week in the English program has been really going well! I can't tell you how much different it is from the ASL program! It's sooo different. We have so many dinner appointments, I get so full! I'm trying to stay healthy and eat well and exercise so I don't become fat, haha. It's been fun though. My companion is really good and he has been teaching me lots about the English program. Elder Ibisagba is his name and we've been doing well here. The other two English missionaries here are Elder Gregerson and Elder Sorensen. They are good guys and we like to hang out with eachother. So far Elder Ibisagba and I have been trying to clean up our area books and we are starting fresh and contacting the investigators the sister missionaries that were here before left for us. Work is still kind of slow because we're new to the area but hopefully soon they will pick up. The new apartment is great! Way nice compared the the ASL pad. It's also good because all the missionaries in our zone live in the same apartment complex. 4 Elders in the top and 4 Elders in the bottom and then the two sister missionaries live a couple of buildings down. It's good because during the down times at night we have a chance to hang out and talk. I have my new address for the apartment so post it for people to see. Don't know how long I will be at this place so also inform people to send things to the mission office as well as that would be safe for me too because I might not be here long. Maybe only 5 more weeks I don't know yet. But here is my address at the new place:
1435 Doris St. Apt. 1R
Bronx, New York 10462
There it is. Remember I don't know how long I will be here. Might be just a short time so maybe just suggest people send mail to me to the mission office. I might only be out 2 cycles which is about 4 months. Anyways, What else is there to say.. At times I still feel very scared and nervous about being here in the English program. Like I said it is very different experience but I know it's one that I need to experience. There is this member, his name is Matt. He's a good kid and has a strong testimony. He wants to go on a mission and that's good. I can see that he was different before and hearing his story about how he read a scripture and that told him everything he needed to know was just great. How people can become converted like that is just amazing. Originally the missionaries that were teaching his family were focused on his mom but later then moved onto teaching Matt and he's been solid ever since and that was really good to hear. There are some really great and kind members here and they help and encourage us any way they can. I'm loving my experience here so far. Don't know why I just moved from one part of the Bronx to another but maybe God has a purpose for me here. Maybe it's to help someone in this area or maybe it is to learn or teach something to one of the Elders here I don't know. But I know that the Lord works in mysterious ways and to find our answer we really have to be in tune with the Spirit.
Another cool thing is the Ward theme this year, introduced last Sunday in sacrament meeting. It is called "Press Forward." It really invovles like taking a step back and looking at where you are in the spiritual journey and taking that next step. Maybe it will be to enter the temple, or maybe it is to advance in the Priesthood for example. Whatever it is, just start to make strides towards that. I made a list of goals I want to accomplish in my last year in the mission. One is to memorize some scriptures and their references so I can refer back to them in the future. Little by little each day during personal study I will work towards that goal. So really I challenge you all at home to focus on a goal that you can achieve to help you grow spiritually. It will make you feel so much better and help you grow closer to God.
Hope all continues to go well with work and with things at home and with the girls and all. I'm taking care of myself here. The weather hasn't been too kind and has been snowing a lot lately but I'm doing well so you don't have to worry about me. You taught me well mom. :) It's only two more months till I hit that one year mark! Hard to believe that time is flying by so fast! I guess losing yourself in the work really does make that time fly fast. I really am starting to understand how people have told me that time flies by fast on the mission. Just have to continue and take advantage of the time I have left.
Can't believe I would think that way if I didn't have the help of you and dad. Thanks mom for everything you have done for me up to this point in my life. You and dad have really taught me well and raised me up so well to really get me into shape for my mission and help me focus on the rest of my life. I feel continuing growth in me with the gospel and I don't think I'd be anywhere without the help of you and dad. So once again as I say every week. Thank you mom, Thanks for everything. I love you and I miss you. I hope to hear from you soon. Talk to you again next week.
Love always,
Your son Elder Derrick Joseph Castro
No comments:
Post a Comment