Elder Derrrick Castro

Elder Derrrick Castro

Saturday, December 25, 2010

July 21, 2010

Hey everyone!

I decided that I should send you one big e-mail so I can conserve time
and still be able to write to you all. Hope you are all doing well!
Mom and dad, thanks for the package you sent me. I wasn't able to pick
it up myself but I had another Elder, Elder Merrill get it for me at
transfer meetings this morning so he should drop it by tonight so I'll
be able to see all the goodies you sent me. Thanks for sending the
jersey! I'll wear it every time I'm in the apartment.

Glad to see that all of you have been really busy this summer. I'm
glad all you girls are having fun traveling and doing all those church
activities! They seem like really great experiences that will
influence you for the rest of your lives. Hope you live them to the
fullest. Mom, I'm glad you got to be able to spend some time with the
girls and bond. It's great that you got a chance to before Nicki
leaves for college and the two little girls go back to school. Elder
Gervacio's sister is going there at BYU-I this coming fall semester
too so maybe you'll meet her Nicki.

Dad, thanks for sending the care packages. They help and let me know
that you're giving me great support at home! Hope work isn't too
overwhelming and hope that you get to enjoy your biking as much as you
do working.

We weren't able to go to a Yankees game today because the cheap
tickets were sold out but maybe one day I'll be able to afford the
higher up tickets. Probably around the time when I leave or maybe we
can all go when you come to pick me up after my mission is over.
There's still lots of time here in New York.

Things have been going great as of late. My companionship is really
strong and we have good fun talking and teaching the gospel to others.
Elder Evenson will be leaving on my birthday this coming August so we
plan to have a cool little party for the both of us around that time
with some of the other Elders. It should be fun! Elder Gervacio just
got called District Leader. It'll be new for him being in a leadership
role but he was chosen because the Lord knows he can do it. We all
support him 100%.

The Branch is doing good. I think the branch memebers are starting to
trust me a little more. Before they really didn't talk to me much but
now I always have great and fun conversations with the memebers. We
had dinner with the Branch President and his family on Sunday. It was
nice. They live on Roosevelt Island and it's sooo nice there! It was
good and we had a good time.

The weather still isn't being too kind to us but we're getting by.
Hopefully it'll cool down soon. The weather is always changing. One
time it will rain, the next it's scorching hot! But I can't wait for
the snow in the winter! It'll be freezing cold!

We are in the process of getting approval to go to Long Island this
weekend, Saturday. Apparently there is a big deaf BBQ that is being
hosted by the church. It'll be exciting to mingle with the deaf
members and non-members alike so maybe we'll be able to make a few
contacts while we are there. Wish us luck!

The work just keeps ramping up and I'm very excited about it! A lot of
the older missionaries are starting to end their missionary service so
it's up to us younger missionaries to keep up the good work. I've been
surrounded by a lot of missionaries who are going home within months
and I just look to all the work they've done here and I see myself and
that I'm only beginning. I hope to accomplish and feel accomplished
about my work as they have felt getting ready to depart. It seems like
they've all had really great experiences out here in the mission field
and I hope to experience some of my own.

Hard to believe that by my birthday it will be my 5 month anniversary
out as a missionary. It seems like time flies by so fast! I am however
taking advantage of all the time I have here. Nothing wasted. I have
to admit it's a struggle being in the ASL program. We don't see the
same success as the other programs in the mission. But I know with
hard work and dedication we'll be able to reach those goals and be
able to find those people who are ready to recieve the gospel.

I finished the Book of Mormon a couple of days ago! It was great to
read through it cover to cover. I started reading it again this time
taking notes on all that I read so I'll be able to refer to them once
in a while. It's great reading the Book of Mormon and it feels as
though as I'm reading it again I'm learning new and great things
everytime.

I'm really enjoying my time here in New York and I'm thankful for all
the support you all give me back at home. You are all that support
that keeps me going and doesn't make me give up. I am truly blessed to
have such a great and loving family. Thank you for all that you do and
thank you for sending the pictures of all your activities. It looks
like you're all having tons of fun. Hope to be able to have fun with
you all again soon! Disney Cruise here we come!

Well, almost out of time! I'll e-mail you all again next week! I miss
you and love you all!!

Love always,
Your son, brother and Elder Derrick Joseph Castro


P.S. We've been catching a lot of mice lately. It's really gross!
Their heads are always caught in the traps and then we have to throw
them out. It's gross but it keep them from getting in our food which
is good. Anyways, love you and miss you all! Stay safe and enjoy your
summer time!

No comments:

Post a Comment